Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ringing in the New Year With a Space Western




Yes, you guessed it.   The nerds in this house are finally jumping on the Firefly bandwagon (chuck wagon?  covered wagon?).  We watched the first four episodes tonight.  I still can't figure this show out.  It's a western.  It's in space.  Ok, we've done that before with Star Wars, but this is nothing like Star Wars.  Well, other than the fact that Mal is a Han Solo type.  Alright, we've got Han Solo with horses.  Maybe it's Cowboys & Aliens (which we also haven't seen).  But, wait, there's lots of Chinese stuff.  There is a minister.  There's a doctor.  In the west.  Maybe it's Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman?  Don't forget the prostitute.  She was on How I Met Your Mother.  I am beyond confused.

I am trying to decide what I think about the characters.  Mal is okay.  Like I said, he's a bit of a Han Solo.  I love Han Solo.  I dig his holster and suspenders.  (Mal, not Han.)  I find the doctor interesting.  Maybe I connect with him because he seems almost as confused as I am.  The women are weird.  Jayne is a stereotypical muscle man, except when he isn't.  Book has some work to do with these folk.  I think they may end up corrupting him eventually.  Maybe not, since it only lasted one season.

I will keep watching.  It is way better than Arrested Development, and I stuck with that for the entire mess because everyone said it was soooooo good.  The music on Firefly is also way better than "The Final Countdown".  Thanks for nothing, G.O.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment