Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

Books Read in 2013 - Part II

I was working so hard on getting a jump on my 2014 reading goal that I may have forgotten to finish my 2013 list.   That error has been fixed.

Divergent by Veronica Roth - This is the first book in the Divergent Trilogy.  A friend suggested this to me as a way to gradually get myself geared up for reading The Hunger Games.  I have a difficult time with dystopian novels.  Something about this one drew me in right from the beginning.  Maybe it is the simple background of the main character, Tris.  I really don't know how to recap this book without giving too much away.  Tris has to decide if she wants to stay with the faction where she was raised or move to a different one at 16.  Her choice brings danger to her and also helps her realize her strengths.   It has some graphic parts, but they fit with the story.  The movie version of this is coming out soon, and I can't decide if I want to watch it or not.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling - First of all, if you haven't read Bossypants by Tina Fey, stop reading this right now, and go read Bossypants.  Better yet, listen to the audio book of Bossypants.  Bossypants.  Just wanted to say it again.   Back to this book . . . Mindy Kaling is fantastic.  She and Tina Fey are my imaginary best friends.  Kaling's book is part memoir, part lists, part genius.  It's the story of a good kid who worked hard and became a writer for The Office.  Kaling tells about her flaws and her strengths (the flaws are funnier).  The audio book of this is also fantastic.  It is read by Kaling, and when you listen to it, you can pretend she is in the car with you.  Or maybe that's just me.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth - This is the second book in the Divergent Trilogy.  Once again, I don't want to give too much away.  I didn't like this one as much as the first, but it was still a page-turner.  I read it pretty quickly while on a car trip with my parents and kids.

How to Be Black by Baratunde Thurston -  One of my friends mentioned that she was reading this, and it sounded interesting.  It was not only interesting, but also funny.  Thurston writes for The Onion and uses his wit to discuss his upbringing as a black boy with a radical mother but who attended mostly-white schools.  Thurston writes for all races and does a great job of putting the reader at ease from the beginning of the book.  I enjoyed that he used not only his experience but also called upon a panel of contributors with varied backgrounds to discuss several topics.  This was definitely a departure from my normal reading, but I really enjoyed it.

The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner -    I loved all of Weiner's early books.  The last couple have been a bit more difficult for me to get into.  I picked up this one to give her work another try.  I enjoyed this story of a woman, Ruth, who is trying to make it as a writer in Hollywood.  Ruth was disfigured in a car accident as a child.  Her parents were both killed in the accident, and she was raised by her grandmother.  The story is about Ruth's home life as well as her career.  Weiner recently had a sitcom on ABC Family that was cancelled after one season.  Knowing that she had experience in TV writing made reading the book more enjoyable.

The House of Hades by Rick Riordan -  This is the fourth book in Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series.  It follows his Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.  You an read the HoO without reading PJO, but I think it is more enjoyable to read the PJO books first.  Since this is the fourth book in a series, I don't want to give too much away.  I really enjoyed this book.  It is written from the points of view of several different characters - like the other HoO books.  I was very glad that one of my favorite characters, Leo, narrated several chapters.  I thought that part of the book dragged a bit, but over all, it was a great read.  Don't get me started on the fact that they changed narrators for this audio book.  I am currently listening to it, having a new narrator is jarring.


I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella - I have read several of Kinsella's books.  They are total fluff chick lit.  Quick, fun reads - often with pink covers.  This one is no different.  Poppy loses her engagement ring and phone on the same day.  She finds a new phone in a trash can, and begins using it.  She soon is forwarding messages from the former assistant of a businessman, Sam.  Sam is in the midst of several deals, and Poppy starts helping him all while looking for her ring.  Hijinks ensue.


No comments:

Post a Comment