Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

The Journey to the Heaviside Layer

Our cat, Odo, died today.  First of all, yes, he was named for Odo on Star Trek:  Deep Space 9.  See that word "Nerd" in the header up there?  



I adopted Odo from animal control in Lubbock, TX in August 1997.  He was about six months old at the time.  I had spent one night alone in my apartment for grad school and was insanely lonely.  I thought I might get a small dog that would be happy in an apartment.  I had always wanted a cat but had never been allowed to have one due to my mother's allergies.  I went to the shelter and looked at the dogs.  I also went in the cat room more for fun than anything else.  There was a little orange and white guy that just called to me.  His name was "Keiko" (which is the name of a woman on DS9).  I went and looked at more dogs.  I told my friend who was with me that I just wanted to go back and see that cat again.  This time, I left the shelter with him.  He was promptly renamed Odo because he was my Chief of Security.  I am also pretty sure he was a shape shifter.  I had never had a cat before, and I didn't know you weren't supposed to wrestle with them.  I spent the next few months with scratches from finger to elbow from playing with the cat.  I went home to Irving many times, and he rode along in the passenger seat, in my lap or sometimes on the floor board under my seat.  

Once, we spent the night with my sister in a house she shared with a mutual friend in Fort Worth.  At some point in the night, Odo got into the kitchen and ate half a loaf of bread.  The top half.  He ripped into the package and ate the top of every single slice of bread.  

We had many nights alone, just me and the cat.  He comforted me when I was sad.  And kept me company when I was lonely.  He purred so loudly there were times I thought I might never sleep again.  He showed me exactly why the phrase "scaredy cat" exists.   

Odo adapted well to moving back to Irving and living with my parents (in the farthest part of the house from my mother).  He seemed fine moving again to live just with me.  My lease was up a month before our wedding, and I went to live with my sister.  Odo moved in with Brian.  They bonded during that time, especially the night that Odo made crazy noises and nearly caused Brian to have a heart attack.  That's what happens when there is a roaming cat in the back yard and only a glass door to separate the two cats.  

The day we brought Bug home from the hospital, Odo was right there, at her side, checking her out.  He didn't steal her breath or smother her in her crib.  He gave her space and even let her pet him once she was older.  He was great with all the kids and spent many nights sleeping on Tad's bed.

I told Brian tonight that I think Odo taught me a great deal.  He taught me to be patient.  He taught me not to get too attached to my stuff, especially furniture, since he was just going to scratch it and shed on it.  Oh, and puke on it.  He might even pee on it.  He was great practice for having kids.  I got plenty of practice cleaning up after his messes.  I took him to semi-emergency vet appointments.  I chased him through the house to take him to get shots.  If these things didn't help prepare me for motherhood, what did?  

I don't know if I will ever have another cat.  I still think of myself as a dog person, who just happened to love this cat.  He was a great friend and will be missed.  

Bye, Odo.  I love you.

*"The Journey to the Heaviside Layer" is a song in the musical CATS.  One cat each year is selected to travel to the Heaviside Layer and be reborn.*

No comments:

Post a Comment